Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Light a Candle for Lucky, the Little Black Cat

So one of my little ones is ailing. I got a phone call yesterday afternoon from my roommate, who had come home to find Lucky dragging herself around the apartment with her front paws, because apparently her back legs had ceased to function. I left work and took her to the vet, who diagnosed her with a blood clot that was obstructing the flow of blood to her lower extremities. It turns out that this is not terribly uncommon with cats of her age and lineage--it is a consequence of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which is a sort of congenital circulatory disorder. It's the sort of thing they can try and treat, but there's not a great deal that can be done with any certainty.

So she's been at the pet hospital since yesterday, and they're pumping her full of fluids and pain meds and stuff that they hope will dissolve the blood clot, but while she's shown some slight signs of improvement, she still has not regained the use of her back legs. The vet told me this afternoon that if this state of affairs doesn't improve by tomorrow, I should seriously consider putting Lucky to sleep. And sadly, I am. All I can really do right now is hope that things improve for the better between now and tomorrow.

So please, one and all, light a candle and think good thoughts at Lucky, the little black cat. She's a sweetheart, and she's only three and a half years old, and I'm not really ready to say goodbye to her yet. All good wishes will be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks.

8 comments:

  1. Poor little kitty, she's in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a little muffin. Send her my hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts are with you, and your little one. Poor dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of love to you and to Lucky. I'm thinking about you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's hoping for a Lucky miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope it all turns out well, Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Lucky. I hope she gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, everybody. Alas, it was not to be, but your good thoughts are very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete